Table of Contents Hide
Patio door installation cost is what we are going to break down for you today(along with some other helpful recommendations)!
On average you’ll pay anywhere between $1,300-$2,500 for regular patio doors and between $2,500-$5,500 for higher premium doors.
The style of door we’ll be examining today is typically seen in the kitchen or family area. A door with a considerable amount of glass in its frame creates a light and airy appearance and has a wide range of designs.
French doors that swing open, Patio doors that slide, or for even bigger openings, folding doors that pivot and slide open.
Swing doors take up more room than sliding doors but provide a greater opening when the doors are open. Half of the sliding doors don’t let any fresh air in.
Let’s Cover Some Helpful Tips
Tip 1: Because patio doors are primarily made of glass, you’ll want to choose the type with the greatest benefit and efficiency.
With Low E glass, energy bills are lower all year round and UV fading is prevented. Glass that adds style and privacy allows natural light in while maintaining privacy.
If you want to control the light and views, look for options such as internal blinds and grills.
Tip 2: Make sure the doorway that connects to your outdoor living area has a wide opening so you have easier access inside and out.
Tip 3: A patio door’s material is equally important to the overall appearance of your home, as would be your house’s riding style.
Make sure your patio door complements the style and quality of your home.
Solid wood or an elegant fiberglass door will work better in a home with cedar siding than a vinyl door which may look better in a brick or concrete house.
Choosing a sliding patio door style, adding accessories, and selecting the glass give you the most design options.
A hinged or French door, which is essentially all glass, will match your front entry and garage doors better than a sliding patio door, which is primarily made of wood.
Tip 4: When choosing a material for your patio door, ideally you should choose one that is durable and easy to maintain, especially if it serves as the home’s main entrance. There are three main options for door materials. Fiberglass, Steel, and Solid Wood.
- Fiberglass is the most durable and will not rot or rust, but is the most expensive. There’s no need to be concerned about wood decay when using this product because it has a realistic grain appearance. Fiberglass is the most durable door material since it does not rust like steel.
- Steel won’t decay like wood but can rust if exposed to a lot of moisture and not properly coated regularly. It has a smooth feel rather than a wood grain and also has the lowest cost.
- Solid wood makes a gorgeous door but can decay at the bottom if exposed to a lot of moisture and isn’t properly sealed. Depending on the style and substance utilized, wood can be less than steel for a plain pine half-glass door or more expensive than fiberglass with a complicated pattern created out of mahogany.
Tip 5: Considering furniture placement and the placement of walls when choosing which opening method is best for space, swinging and French doors require more room to open.
Space-efficient solutions like a stationary panel with a single swing door or sliding doors may be an option if there is a limited amount of room.
Ball Park Pricing
- If you go to a big box store, you can get standard French doors for $200-$900 (double doors that swing open in the middle, characterized by windows with a grid of stiles running along the entire length), or you can pay $500-$1,300 at a specialized door shop.
- French doors that are more substantial, upscale, or energy efficient might cost anywhere from $900 and $2,900, depending on the style and features you like. These doors can cost anywhere from $1,400 to $4,400 or more, depending on the material and design.
- Sliding Patio doors appropriate for sustaining high storm winds (sliding, french-style, or single-pivoted impact doors) can range from $1000-$2000.
- Choosing folding patio doors with an opening of 8 feet or more and a desire for a light and airy atmosphere may be your best option, but you’ll pay a lot more for them. A sliding pivot door can start at $5000 and go up to $20,000+.
What If You Decide To Hire A Professional?
Look for a well-established company with experienced installers that have been in business for a long time.
In Florida, all external door installations must be permitted and done by a licensed contractor.
This is to verify that the installation is done properly since it will be inspected by a local government official who will either sign off on the permit or tell the installer to fix anything that was done poorly.
This might provide you peace of mind knowing that your door installation was done appropriately.
Talk to people you know who have had doors installed and ask them if their contractor did a decent job or search online for licensed contractors that have good evaluations from past clients.
Always choose three or more different providers to receive an estimate and ask for recommendations from prior clients for each.
In the event that anything goes wrong following the installation, be sure to inquire with the contractor about a warranty.
A faulty installation might cause wood rot around the home frame and siding which can later cost a lot of money to replace.
How To Care For Your Patio Doors
You should never have to wiggle, pull, push, or drag your door across the track if you perform routine maintenance on it.
Sliding door tracks require more maintenance than swing doors. The rails regularly fill with junk that has to be cleared so the door will travel smoothly.
For just $20 and 20 minutes of work, you can fix the problem and keep the sliding door from jamming. These are the steps to take.
Get rid of free rubbish on the track by using the hose connector on your vacuum. Vacuuming the track at the bottom and top of the door can assist keep the rollers as free as possible.
Clean the track by wiping it down with a moist piece of material. Do not use moist material. The region should be allowed to completely dry and the fabric should be rinsed out properly.
This is a wonderful time to clean the glass while you wait for the track to dry. A glass cleaner can be used to clean the glass. Wipe down the handles and edges of your vinyl patio doors while you’re at it to remove any dirt or fingerprints.
The track and the rollers can be coated with a silicone spray for maximum efficacy. You can also use silicone spray for swing door handles if the handles become hard to twist. If your door is squeaking, check the hinges as well.
Now that your new doors have been put in, you may be wondering how much it will cost to create a new concrete patio or how to mend cracks in your current patio.
Learn how to stain or stencil your concrete patio if you already have one and want to add some personality to it.
What are common mistakes to avoid?
According to Stenson, hinged and sliding patio doors are the most common types on the market. “Make sure you have enough room for a hinged patio door if you want one.
The smaller the space, the more appropriate it is to use sliding patio doors.”
Costly mistakes can be the result of incorrect size. If your entryway is conventional, ordering a door off the shelf from a big-box retailer like Menards or The Home Depot might cost you as little as a few hundred dollars.
The length of time you intend to spend in this house as a residence should also be taken into consideration.
If this is your everlasting home, then it can be worthwhile to execute one big makeover that will make your room more enjoyable.
French doors are a lifetime investment, so if this is only your beginning house, it’s wise to think twice about dishing out so much for a transient stay.
An exterior door is also exposed to the weather. It’s crucial to recognize the weather threats in your location and make sure the door you choose works for all seasons.
Whereas those in the Northeast and Midwest may require a storm door, those on the West Coast and in the South may be able to get by with simply a screen door.
If you’re new to the area and aren’t sure what will be most durable, visit local vendors and hardware stores that can provide the best local recommendations.